Monday, October 06, 2008

Menopause Shawl

A few years ago, when my hot flashes were worse than they are now, I had what seemed like a brilliant idea: handknit menopause shawls. Pullover sweaters and turtlenecks had become impossible, cardigans were better, but shawls would have been best for tossing off and on as the internal thermostat dictated.

I still think the menopause shawl is a good idea. I just can't seem to get the hang of wearing a triangle. I'm still not feeling too perky, so am home and test driving the Sun Ray.



Maybe I will alternate between it and the Falling Leaves shawl, which is rectangular, to see what shape I like better.

Project synopsis:
Pattern: Sun Ray Shawl (free from Elann)
Yarn: Elann Peruvian Highland Wool, color 2507 (antique rose)
Needles: US9 circulars

OMG. While recording the above information, I took a closer look at the photo with the pattern and at my results: the picot edging is completely different between the two. The pattern photo's edging is much prettier. The difference stems from the blocking: I was supposed to stretch out every fifth picot to form a scallop. Rats. Well, if I ever feel so inclined, I will reblock the shawl. Likelihood of my doing that: 5%

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you ever considered using a red clover supplement? Red Clover is high in isoflavones and can help relieve menopausal symptoms such as heat flashes.

Anonymous said...

For some reason, your blog feed isn't updating in Bloglines, so I missed your last few posts.

I hope you're feeling better (from last week, I mean, not from menopause, although ... I guess from that as well).