Friday, September 23, 2011

Hats off to watch caps

Sorry for the absence.  My SO and I took a week's vacation (more about that later), and I brought home some New England cooties that have laid me low this past week.  I have been knitting, but between the cold symptoms and the OTC meds, my brain has not been very functional.

My son told me he "can't find" (is that a euphemism for "lost"?) the hat I knit him.  So I decided to knit up a couple of watch caps; he can have his pick.  These are both quick and easy.


Pattern:  Watch Cap by Judith Durant
Yarn:  Plymouth Yarn Encore Worsted in colorway 194 (gray)
Needles:  US7
Modifications:  none

One size fits all

All 1x1 ribbing all the way, and very stretchy.  In fact, both these hats are very stretchy.  And they are long enough to cover the ears.


Pattern:  Classic WWII Watch Cap by Helen Waittes
Yarn:  Plymouth Yarn Encore Worsted in colorway 999 (maroon)
Needles:  US7
Modifications:  None

Large size

This one starts out with a 2x2 ribbing, then switches to 2x6.  I did not do anything fancy but you can substitute a 6-stitch cable or other stitch pattern for the top part.

Like I said, quick and easy.  Also, each takes less than a 100g skein of yarn.  Good for brainless knitting.  Like when one has a cold and can't stitch two thoughts together.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG, my speed reading brain read "New England cookies" HaHa. I was trying to figure out why NE cookies were a bad thing!Hope you feel better soon. Love the caps! A hat I like is http://evergreenknits.blogspot.com/2007/01/cambridge-watchcap_19.html
Love the decrease pattern on it.

Anonymous said...

Love those hats!

And yes, I saw "cookies" too!

Jacqui C said...

I can't find the pattern!

Unknown said...

https://www.canadianliving.com/home-and-garden/knitting-and-crochet/article/knit-a-simple-ribbed-toque

Unknown said...

So WHERE IS THE PATTERNS.? So annoying

bittenbyknittin said...

Sometimes patterns move or are no longer published at all. This post is NINE years old - things change! Google should be able to lead you to the pattern or to one like it. Good luck!

Caty Bach said...

Really like the hats....I am going after the pattern.