Sunday, November 22, 2009

Just to prove I AM knitting...



The shoulder shaping for the Bog Jacket has been giving me fits, but I think we are in the homestretch for that part. Technically, I am over three-fourths of the way done, except the sleeves will require additional work.

The toe-up son-in-law socks should be done tomorrow.

On spinning notes, it was not a good day to spindle. I tried again to work with the slubby mystery roving, but gave up after a while. Not to be discouraged, I pulled out some Corriedale, but it proved equally recalcitrant. I'm feeling discouraged. Maybe I will just put spindling aside until I can get to a spinning guild meeting and find myself a mentor. I know some people find a wheel easier to use than a spindle, but my problem is not the tool; it is my inability to draft properly. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but the wool tends to clump up behind the drafting triangle, which results in a big clump of yarn. With a little guidance and a lot of practice, I WILL get the hang of it, though. Eventually. I hope.

P.S. I am again allowing anonymous commenters, but will moderate comments. We'll see how that works out.

1 comment:

Qutecowgirl said...

HI!
Maybe the problem is with the roving. When I first had my hand spinner I had corriedale and well I can show you the ick that that became. I thought it was me, then I read somewhere (wish I could remember) that corriedale may not be the best for starting. I had some merino and wow big difference. I would suggest trying a different wool and maybe pre drafting. Remember when we first started knitting it didn't come out well (at least mine anyway)