Friday, February 27, 2015

Fixed object

When my SO first brought me his injured Fibonacci vest, I thought he had snagged it on something. On further inspection, I realized that the damage occurred where the individual rounds of the button/neck/bottom band began and ended. Did I do a lazy job of weaving in ends? Did the fact I skipped blocking the vest allow the ends to work their way loose? Was this just too stressful a spot to begin and end the rounds (upper right shoulder)? No one - least of all me - knows.


I was slow to repair this, primarily because I was not sure how without completely removing the band, something I was prepared to do if necessary, but I really did not want it to be necessary. Eventually, I undid the bind off and tinked back two rounds (which saved me from having to remove buttons and redo button holes). Then I tied together the ends of rounds that were still intact, added a "patch" to the mostly still intact round, then reknit two rounds and the bind off. (Fortunately, I had made a note in Ravelry about the bind off, as I had done a yarn-over bind off around the bottom.) I carefully wove in the ends and blocked the thing to help weld those ends to the fabric.


Were I to knit this vest again - or if I had to remove the entire band - I would do one (or more) of the following:
  • Knit the band in one color instead of changing colors each round
  • Start the rounds at a less stressed spot, like somewhere around the bottom
  • BE MORE CAREFUL
It's still cold here (-4 F when I got up this morning), so the vest is now doing its job of keeping my SO warm. He says it feels like a big hug.

1 comment:

ErinFromIowa said...

Awesome repair skills! I am a intermediate knitter. I repaired a simple gobbledygook on a scarf my daughter was wearing. A friend had knit it on a loom for her. We were very pleased I was successful in putting it back to rights. So I can imagine the satisfaction you received when you finished what looks impossible to me! Someday. ;)