Sunday, December 25, 2016

We now return you to our regularly scheduled knitting

While cleaning up the fiber studio (for the umpteenth time), I not only discovered I have TWO paper grocery bags of fingering weight yarn (enough for a lifetime of sock knitting), I also found a project bag containing a skein of yarn and a pattern for a hat. I had tackled this project once before, but was flummoxed by the title of the pattern - Corkscrew Hat - and the fact it did not actually form a corkscrew. I decided to give it another go, using US7 needles, but the yarn, a blend of wool, silk, and mohair, kept breaking. So I switched to US8 needles and gently knit myself a scarf.

Pattern: Mistake Rib scarf
Yarn: Cascade Casablanca, colorway 12
Needles: US8
Modifications: See below

Since I had only one skein, I kept the scarf narrow, casting on just 39 stitches (Old Norwegian). Then it was sl1 k1 *p2 k2 repeat from * to last stitch, p1, ad infinitum. Suspended cast off.

It's too bad this yarn misbehaves (and has been discontinued) as the colors are lovely. Russian joins rescued the breaks. I gave it a good soak - no bleeding - but did not really block it. Instead I folded it over a floor register so it would dry quickly and I could wear it sooner. It is just barely long enough.

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

It is a beautiful knit, love the colors. Hugs, Meredith