Monday, April 16, 2018

Some ideas and what to do with them

I don't know much about art, and what I do know I learned from my SO. I credit him with leading by example. He studies the work of others, then incorporates some of what he sees when editing his photographs. For example, while he was into Mark Rothko, his photos had a lot of red in them.

Lately, I have been trying to make note of various fiber artists, looking for ideas I can incorporate into my own work. Right now I am primarily interested in weaving and what I can do with it to create interesting fabric. There are techniques to use but also influences to incorporate.

The question is, how best to record ideas I get from the works of others? A fiber friend of mine is working on a fiber journal (which she hopes to copyright and sell). Hard copy doesn't work well for me, so I use Ravelry and this blog to record my projects. The question is, how to keep track of ideas pre-project?

Some people use a vision board, which is certainly one idea. Again, that is usually hard copy and usually focused on one project or goal. Each photo here could be the start of a vision board, but then what? Do I hang them around the room I euphemistically refer to as "the studio"? That room has little wall space (it's mostly windows), so that does not seem practical.

So I am back to this blog, where I can create an entry with ideas, but then will have to remember to LOOK at it once in a while. I have many more ideas, too, that don't involve photos as inspiration; how to record them without losing track of them? What do you do?

These photos are from Fiberarts Design Book Five. It's from the local library, from which it must return someday. I did not try to make great pictures from them as that is beside the point. I did try to include the identifying text.

This photo got me thinking about how to weave boxes with something different in each box. The different thing might be yarn and/or design and/or technique and/or not even weaving. The box edges (or even the contents) could be added after the fact, say with embroidery or applique.


If I want to make something wearable, kimonos are one way to go. What I liked about these two designs is how no neck shaping is used. Instead, the kimonos drape open. They also show different sleeve types. They demonstrate that lining is an important design element.



The inspiring object in this photo is the one on the right. I have seen lap robes that resemble shelves of books. This design is similar. Left over sock yarn might be a good choice for warp and/or weft.


I'm intrigued with the object on the left below, envisioning an area rug with a similar design but maybe more colors. Obviously weft faced.


Below, the object on the right would also be weft faced but more complicated.


So many ideas, so little time!

No comments: