Saturday, March 28, 2020

Routine or rut

If I'm not careful, one day turns into the next with nary a difference between them. As much as I enjoy my fiber activities, it is easy to feel like a routine is becoming a rut, especially when all events, appointments, meetings, dates are cancelled for the time being. I try to mix things up a bit, spend some time outside (when it is not raining), cook something different or differently, avoid too much screen time, MOVE, etc. Still, I have a grumpy day now and then.

Knitting: My MO is to knit both socks at the same time, to avoid the dreaded single sock syndrome. My shoulders can't take too much knitting, though, so I am limiting myself to three rounds per sock per day. That doesn't sound like much, but it is progress.
Spinning: I finished up the Lorna's Laces (and edited the posting to include yardage and weight totals). I'm disappointed that instead of worsted weight yarn, I ended up with something between Aran and bulky. So I am trying fractal spinning again, this time with Lone Star Arts superwash merino, in 'Neapolitan' (vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry), this time aiming for worsted.
Weaving: The online class continues, with hatching. I like the Mirrix loom I am using so much I ordered their Saffron pocket loom. I'll write a separate post on that, but I'll just say here that it is similar to the 3-in-1 Swatchmaker (except right now it has only one sett) but also employs a tensioning device.

When I was still working, my habit was to save most of the errand-running, housecleaning, and laundering for the weekend. After I retired, I tried to change that routine but apparently it is ingrained in my psyche. Today is Saturday, so I baked (cornbread and scones) and cooked (pancakes) and laundered. Tomorrow is Sunday and I will concentrate on cleaning the floors since the dogs are doing a splendid job of dragging in mud and dirt. They are not the best trained animals in the world, but they do hop in the tub on command, then "place" while they finish drying off. They (and the cats) are good companions for the duration.

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

It is good to have a routine but then again to spice things up with a new dish to make or new project to start. Stay safe and well!