Sunday, April 28, 2024

A trick with colors

I've been looking at the yarn that remains from the natural dyeing workshop at Wabash Woollen Works, contemplating what to make with it. From weighing the Lozenge Cowl that I made from it, I decided there was enough for another cowl. But I wasn't sure about the colors. So I did a little trick: took a photo of the remaining balls, then converted the pic to black and white.



This allows me to see the differences in value between the colors. I want enough contrast between the colors in the cowl to accent the lozenges. And so far, it is working out just fine. (There was enough of a dark green to cast on with.)


Knitting: Besides working on the Lozenge cowl, I am making headway on both pairs of socks. I'm ready to turn the heels on the non-matching pair.
Spinning: Still working on the Tasman comeback.

I'm reading a book called Get the Picture, by Bianca Bosker. The author is exploring the New York art world in an attempt to develop an "eye" for art. One artist she talks with has several paintings going on at the same time and describes her feelings toward them as "relationships". Some of them are in "time out" and face the wall. I'm beginning to think of my weaving as being in "time out" while I figure out how to move forward with it. I've made several attempts, but so far, nothing clicks. Maybe I'm not a weaver?

No comments: