Friday, March 16, 2007

Domiknitrix

by Jennifer Stafford


Maybe it's just me.

Maybe I am too influenced by my hippie-dippy past to be comfortable with the language in this book. Not the sexual innuendo language, but the violent language regarding the relationship between knitter and knitted. I don't want to force the yarn to do my bidding; I want to become one with my knitting.

And maybe I am too Midwestern to imagine wearing most of the items in this book. Even my sophisticated daughter didn't find any of the patterns appealing. My only exception might be the L'il Red Riding Hoodie (I like the pockets). And I suspect that the color insets featured in the Swizzle Vest and Diva Halter would be slimming.

And maybe this dog is too old to learn new tricks. I use the long tail cast on almost exclusively, but when I tried the author's method, I could not figure it out from the photos. And her mattress stitch is different from my mattress stitch. But I could have used her explanation of seaming garter stitch when constructing the baby hoodie.

But I like the idea of knitting clothes that flatter and fit, and that is really what this book is about. So many knitting patterns are just so... barely wearable. When I progress beyond the hat, sock, and baby sweater phase, I may check this book out again.

No comments: