Friday, March 02, 2007

Random Thoughts

Ordinarily, I limit my posts to this blog to completed projects, but right now I don't have anything ready to fall off the needles. So here are some random thoughts about knitting.

Last night I realized there is a dark side of me that would rather knit than do anything else. I'd rather knit than eat, I'd rather knit than sleep, I'd rather knit than vacuum (well, that goes without saying). It's an obsession.

And I like to listen to music while I knit, preferably folk music on WUMB. Now that I have DSL and an FM transmitter for my laptop, this is very doable and very enjoyable. What I particularly like about WUMB is they talk about/with singer/songwriters. I'm not a singer or a songwriter, but I am intrigued with the creative process and how to plug into those vibes. So now I can knit, listen to music, and contemplate the creative forces of the universe.

I also am willing to try to knit just about anywhere, although the bathroom is still ruled by crossword puzzles. Last night I took the dog to the vet (nail trim and anal gland check - ick) where sometimes the wait is a bit long, especially when I am their last appointment of the day. I took a sock to work on since I was up to the gusset and thought I could manage that with distractions (I was wrong about that - not only dropped a stitch on one DPN but picked up an extra on another DPN, which led to much confusion later on). Last week I tried to knit the same sock while sitting at a stoplight, but discovered that what seems like an interminable wait when I'm just staring at the traffic signal is but a brief moment when I am trying to pick up a project, arrange the yarn, settle the needles in my fingers, and start knitting. The week before, knitting was a godsend at the BMV. (Don't get me started! The people working there were unfailingly cheerful, however, even though it was the end of a long day for them. Oh, and the clocks are back.)

Some people can knit without looking at what they are knitting, at least if they are doing mindless garter or stockingnet, and these people can knit and read or knit and watch a movie. I do knit while watching football (hurray for instant replay!) but movies are such a visual medium that I need to keep my eyes on the screen. Also, I rent a lot of foreign films, which I refer to as "reading a movie". If I watched TV, I would knit then, but I prefer to avoid all that mind pollution.

Another time I have trouble knitting is when I am visiting with someone one-on-one, because eye contact is important (how do I know you are listening to me if you are not looking at me?) and like I said before, I cannot knit without looking at what I am knitting. But in group situations, knitting is a nice social crutch, better than a cigaretter and a martini. My eyesight may be a little fuzzy after an intense knitting stint, but at least I can drive home sober.

Sadly, until I sprout an extra pair of hands or learn to type with my feet, there is no way to knit and write, but at least I can write about knitting.

No comments: