Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Feels Like Monday

The first day back at work after a three-day weekend is always a shock to the system. The alarm clock, the traffic, the fluorescent lighting. Ugh.

Per usual, I trudged into the building with my knitting bag, as I knit during lunch. But when lunchtime rolled around, I discovered I did not have the pattern for the current dishcloth project with me and I didn't feel like starting the SnB Om Yoga Mat Bag and I was wise enough not to bring the lace top, so I began assembling a UFO, a mango-colored baby hoodie. Ugh.

Sleeve #1 went on okay, so I celebrated with corn chowder and a salad. Then I tried seaming the sleeve. The garter stitch sleeve. The increasing rows sleeve. The sleeve where the increases should have been a stitch or two further in from the edge. I tried to pick up the smiles on the right and the frowns on the left, but the increases got in the way. Trusting the magic of the mattress stitch, I pulled the yarn tight and watched the sleeve seam pucker. Ugh.

The voices in my head started arguing: It's only a seam! It looks like shit. No one will notice! You will. Nobody will die if this seam is puckered! But you will wake at 3am with that seam on your mind and a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach.

Okay. I decided to take out the seam, but the splitty Lion Brand Microspun yarn did not cooperate. Even though I still had knitting time left to my lunch hour, I just had to set the whole thing aside. Just step away from the yarn.

Back home at the end of the day, I picked up the lace top, thinking I had time to do a row or two before my walk. The swatch I knit had a dropped stitch in it, and today I discovered the likely culprit: the k2tog in row 10 of the lace pattern, which is nearly impossible to pick up. I knitted about a quarter of the row before it was time to quit (in more ways than one).

Some days knit doesn't pay.

No comments: