Sunday, April 20, 2008

Who Follows Directions?

Embarrassed by the number of batteries I was depositing in the recycle bin at work, I decided to purchase rechargeable batteries, which of course meant purchasing a recharger as well. I have gone the rechargeable route in the past, with poor results, but everyone (well, my SO and daughter) assured me the technology had improved and I would be pleased with such an investment. Plus the rechargers can now charge batteries in 15 minutes. Whoo-hoo!

So a few weeks ago, I brought home a recharger and proceeded to try it out. Maybe I have been not-quite-following knitting patterns for too long now, because while I did read the recharger directions, I did not quite follow them. They explicitly said not to use an extension cord, and yet I plugged the recharger into my new Belkin surge protector because, well, it is not technically an extension cord. Right?

Well. Something happened. Something that involved smoke. Smoke that smelled particularly electronic. I used to work in engineering services where periodically a hardware engineer would "let the smoke out" of a circuit board, so I recognized that smell. At least the Belkin did its job, as all the fragile electronic devices that were also plugged in - my router, my modem - were not damaged.

At that point, I temporarily abandoned the rechargeables but I knew the day would come when I would have to face my fear of exploding batteries. That day was yesterday, while I was trying to get a close-up of the practically tame bunnies that populate my backyard and the camera shut down, hungry for more juice.

So this morning I gave the recharger a second chance. This time I decided to remove the batteries before plugging in the device, thinking maybe the sudden surge is what caused the trouble before, and discovered a plastic strip between the batteries and the positive terminals. Huh. Then I chose an outlet near the Florida room, since I am planning on replacing the Florida room and if it is damaged by fire, I would not mind. Heck, I would welcome it, as the insurance money would help pay for the renovations.

I plugged in the charger. Nothing, except a green light came on. I inserted the batteries. The light turned red and the device emitted a fan-like sound. I waited.

And about 20 minutes later, the red light turned green, I removed the batteries (after unplugging the recharger - one can't be too careful), stuck them in the camera, and took some pix.

Here are the Rainforest socks.

Uneven ribbing in Rainforest

The yarn is Opal in the "Vernoica" Rainforest colorway. I used my standard Ann Norling basic sock pattern, but the uneven ribbing described in More Sensational Knitted Socks. I started out with US0 needles to tighten up the top of the cuff a bit (these are for Mr. Chickenlegs), then switched to US1 for the rest.

Enjoying the daffodils

Very springlike, don't you think?

And here is the Shetland Triangle Shawl, all dressed up and no place to go.

All Dressed Up

We tried flying through the forsythia, but despite the light weight of the shawl, the shrub was bending from the burden.

Flying through the Forsythia

The Belkin was put on temporary hiatus, so someday, when I am feeling brave, I will have to see if the reset switch on it really works.

1 comment:

Toni said...

You know, I'm not sure if it would have occurred to me that a surge protector was technically an extension cord....good to know. As long as we all learn to make different mistakes, we can all learn from each other, right? :)