Monday, June 30, 2008

I Try

I try to reduce my UFOs. Yesterday I even sat down with a pair of Mary Jane baby booties. All they needed was a little seaming. First, I could not see what I was doing unless I sat by the window in the sunshine (stupid black yarn). Second, I could not find directions for how to seam two cast-on edges, so I winged it (these booties are not made for walkin'). Third, I could not find the button hole on the strap and, thinking the strap was a bunch of three-stitch rows, I started unraveling it, and wound up screwing up the whole strap. Fourth, I decided I didn't really like those baby booties after all - who puts black booties on their infant? Fifth, vacuuming suddenly looked like a whole lot more fun than knitting.

I try not to buy more yarn. Staying out of yarn stores is easy enough, since I don't pass any on my way home from anywhere, and gas prices being what they are, I'm not inclined to go out of my way, especially for yarn I don't need (I keep telling myself). And it is relatively easy to delete unread advertisements from yarn retailers that land in my inbox... unless it's a yarn retailer I favor. Even then I am safe... unless they happen to be offering up a yarn that has been sitting in the back of my mind but now it is ON SALE. That's how I ended up with the six skeins of Noro that arrived in my mailbox today.

I try to get a little knitting done over my lunch hour at work. Sometimes work interferes (stupid job), but today I actually forgot to bring any knitting. How could that happen? What is wrong with me? I must be ill or something. Maybe I should take a knit sick day tomorrow. I feel a (knitting) fever coming on!

1 comment:

Toni said...

Oooh, Noro on sale--now the yarn stores are just playing dirty.

In my weaker moments, my husband has to sort out the yarn catalogs and fliers before I see the mail. There's willpower and then there's just plain torture....