Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Crazy love

When my SO's daughter glommed onto the fingerless mitts I made him 'way back when, I said I would knit him a new pair. He picked these from knitty. No problem, I assured him. I even have Cascade 220 in my stash.

Well, I should have read the pattern first, as these employ twined knitting. Last night I gave them a go and determined that these mitts will not be whipped out in an evening or two, especially with the yarn wrangling twined knitting entails.

This morning I looked at what I knit so far, and while I think the knitting is correct, the gauge was off, off, off. Turns out when I did read the pattern, I misread the needle size - I thought it said US5, and since I usually drop a needle size, I started out with US4, but the pattern actually said US3, so I should probably use US2.

This morning I also took a gander at some YouTube videos of twined knitting (and yes, my work is correct), including one that demonstrates an easy way to untangle the yarn. What did we do before the Internet?

Meanwhile, I hit the pause button on February Lady. While I like the fit of the garter yoke and the decrease for the arms, I am having second thoughts about the bulk of all that lace going around my middle. Yesterday I kept trying the sweater on and comparing it to other sweaters and debating what to do. I have been warned that this sweater will grow with blocking, so I am leaning toward frogging back to the yoke and matching the arm decreases with body decreases. It's not like I haven't knit a sweater two or even three times by the time it is finished, but I'm letting this one rest a bit before taking action.

Speaking of reknitting, one of the Hedgerow socks is ready for a do over.



The yarn unkinked beautifully after a 20-minute warm water bath.



If my plan to embiggen the feet doesn't work, I will just have to gift these to someone with tiny feet and cankles.

No comments: