Monday, October 26, 2009

A new use for self-striping sock yarn

Here are the finished gloves for my SO. The self-striping sock yarn looks like faux Fair Isle, don't you think? And I love that the fingers are each unique.



Pattern: Based on gloves chapter in The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns
Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Encore Sock Double Knitting Weight, color 7521
Needles: US2
Modifications: Added buttonholes to index finger and thumb of one glove



The buttonholes allow my SO to operate his camera in cold weather without getting cold hands. It took a while to get the buttonholes right, then I put the first one on the wrong side of the index finger. After correcting that, I realized I had measured the index fingers wrong, so I redid the one with the buttonhole, AGAIN putting the buttonhole on the wrong side. I think getting the index fingers right took almost as long as knitting the rest of the gloves. And there were a bazillion ends to weave in. (Ha-ha - the spell checker accepts "bazillion"!)

The glove pattern created interchangeable gloves, i.e. not a right and a left glove. And while the measurements were close to the real hands, I think next time I will obtain actual outlines of the recipient's hands. After all, gloves should fit like a glove, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

They look great!