Thursday, June 28, 2018

Copacabana socks

This blog started as a knitting blog, but it seems like I don't do much knitting anymore. So much fiber, so few hours in the day! I still like to knit socks, though, plus some of the older pairs are wearing out and must be replaced.


Pattern: Short row toe and heel basic sock, by Wendy D. Johnson
Yarn: Simply Socks Yarn Company Poste Yarn Striping, in 'Copacabana', and Simply Sock, in 'Black'
Needles: US1
Modifications: None to speak of except as noted below


As an experiment, I tried not picking up the wraps on the short row heels. This worked perfectly fine EXCEPT for the last stitches on each side. Not picking up those wraps resulted in the Dreaded Sock Heel Gap (DSHG). I backtracked and picked those wraps up and all was well.

I like to listen to books on CD while I knit and finished Ron Chernow's Grant at the same time I finished these socks. I enjoyed Hamilton, but I guess I find the birthing of a nation more interesting than the preservation of a nation. Also, I can't figure out if I should be disheartened or encouraged that democracy has always been a very messy thing. So far, the USA has survived. We'll see what the future brings.

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

It seems my blog is not named correctly as Mere rarely knits these days. I fear I am so depressed over the state of our country and with Justice Kennedy retiring, well that has put me over the edge. I'm not sure we are going to be able to regroup.