Wednesday, June 27, 2018

My first rag rug

I bought a duvet cover at Target that I really didn't care for. When I replaced it, I noticed that it was 100% cotton. So instead of putting it in the Goodwill bag, I ripped it up for weaving. I expected to end up with a bunch of loops because a duvet cover is basically a big pillowcase. Turns out it was woven in a spiral, like socks. I ended up with over 200 yards of continuous cloth.


Pattern: based on the Fabric Stash Rag Run, in Handwoven Home, by Liz Gipson
Warp: 8/4 cotton warp, in 'Navy' and 'Kentucky Red'
Weft: cotton fabric
EPI/PPI: 7.5 and 4
Finished size: 44" x 21"


I really struggled getting this warped and actually started completely over once. The kraft paper I usually use when winding onto the back beam kept shifting and crinkling, so I sliced up some poster board to create slats. That made a HUGE difference. In fact, this warp turned out to be one of the best I have ever done. Also, when attaching the warp to the front beam, I kept the heddle in the up position; this helped maintain a decent shed even as the cloth built up in front.


This is my first rag rug, so I wasn't sure how to best do the selvages. I weighted the end warp threads, but I also ran a floating weft on each edge, to use as a visual reminder. Then I left a bit of a loop at each side, so the edges look frilly. I also discovered that my swords were not long enough for such a wide project - for a 24" wide weft, one needs a 30" sword, or there is nothing to hold onto - so I used a beater, which was slow but effective.


Per usual, I started weaving with some scrap yarn, to spread the warp. I wish I had ended the same way, as the fabric didn't hold the beat when I took the rug off the loom. I ended up sacrificing about an inch of weaving in order to have a tidy edge at that end. The fringe is "two rows of staggered overhand knots worked in groups of four warp threads" per the pattern.


This rug is for my master bath, and I was aiming for 48" x 23". Between losing some length during the fringe-making and losing both length and width in the washer/dryer, it ended up 44" x 21", plus fringe.


My satisfaction with the colors varied during the project. I liked the navy and red warp, but when adding the light blue fabric, I wished I had used white or yellow instead of red. But once done, I decided it is fine; the fringe helps. Unfortunately, these pics don't do the rug justice.

This project was a test, to see if I like making rugs. I do! But I will purchase a longer sword. I have been contemplating getting a wider loom, a 32" Ashford, plus their Freedom Roller, but I am going to hold off for now. For one thing, where would I put it? For another, I'm a little concerned about weaving that width because of my ancient shoulders. Meanwhile, I have plenty of projects to work on.

1 comment:

ErinFromIowa said...

I love it!
My Norwegian aunt collected cast off clothing, mostly denim. Then she took them to someone to have them made into rag rugs. Her house, grandma's and ours, had a LOT of rag rugs!