Saturday, December 19, 2020

Hip hip HOORAY

This past week marked the one year anniversary of my hip replacement surgery. I think about my artificial hip everyday, not because it bothers me but because it doesn't. There's not too many things I want to do that I can't. I'm back to walking the dogs 2-3 miles most days, I can perform most of the PT exercises for my back, and I can even trim my toenails. It's a miracle.

My shoulders are another matter. The back exercises I can't do depend on having stable shoulders and mine are not. They both hurt but for different reasons. I keep exercising them as best I can, which both helps and hurts. Crochet and knitting have to be limited, weaving too. I hope to have them re-evaluated this winter, but don't want surgery until after next year's growing season. Meanwhile, I soldier on, with the help of aspirin and emu oil.

Crochet: The lavender baby blanket sat on the coffee table for a few days while I contemplated the white part of the border. It just looked wrong. So I ripped it out and resorted to having only two rounds of single crochet in the last of the lavender for the border. I didn't weave in the final end, just in case I find or buy more yarn I can use.
Knitting: No progress on the Lithuanian mittens, as I ran out of yarn... sort of. I've been deconstructing a sweater and using that yarn, but more needed to be steamed to get rid of the kinks. (BTW, steaming works a LOT better than soaking to recover used yarn.) I'm in the decrease part of the slouchy hat, but didn't pay attention to the excellent instructions and had to backtrack a bit. Moving forward there now.

My self-imposed quarantine ends Monday. It hasn't been too bad, not a lot different than regular Covid life other than not seeing my SO; we've kept in contact with texting and Duo. I did more of some things like reading, tried new things like listening to classical music via YT, etc. I held off on starting a new jigsaw puzzle - saving that for xmas, which will be just my SO and me, again. My kids and I usually have a major get-together in May, to celebrate their birthdays and Mother's Day. Hopefully, we will be able to do that in 2021.

Happy holidays and stay safe!

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

So glad your new hip is doing so well. So sorry about your shoulders. Stay safe, it is so crazy out there.