Monday, December 21, 2020

Sixth time is the charm?

I lost track of how many times I crocheted the border on this baby throw, just to rip it back and try again. Running out of yarn didn't help, either. In the end, I settled for two rounds in the lavender instead of three, but I left the last end to weave in at a later date, just in case I find or buy some more yarn. (Right now I am on a fiber diet.)


Pattern: F870 Shell Flower Baby Throw, by Plymouth Yarn Design Studio
Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash in lavender
Needle: I for initial chain, H for the rest
Modifications: see above and below


I had to start with a larger hook to meet the blanket dimensions - I guess I chain tight - but then switched to the H hook for the rest. The pattern was fine until it got to the instructions for the border. Once I started fiddling with the edge, the instructions *almost* made sense. Since the bottom edge already had a row of single crochet, I broke the yarn and started on the side following the bottom. For the vertical sides, I worked 3 sc into each shell row. For the top (and then the bottom), I worked 6 sc for each shell. Each corner had 3 sc. I could not get the hang of the suggested reverse sc to finish, so abandoned that idea.


At one point, I crocheted two rounds in white Modo Dea Washable Wool yarn. It's more of an Aran weight than worsted, also is not plied but braided? I later deemed it too heavy for the Cascade 220 Superwash, which seems a bit light for worsted.


So much anguish over a baby blanket! I did enjoy crocheting something for a change, although my shoulders did not find it much different than knitting. Something about the micro movements really irritates. As long as I can crochet and knit, though, I will continue to do so.

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

I think it is perfect just the way it is and will be loved. Stay safe my friend.