Sunday, April 16, 2023

Busy fiber week

This has been one busy fiber week. Per usual, times like these get me really excited to weave and spin and knit, but then time constraints hit. Still, I do what I can when I can.

First off, my SO and I met up with my son in Chesterton, IN, for lunch, then a stroll around the downtown arts district. What drew me first to this day trip was the Duneland Weavers Guild exhibit at the Chesterton Art Center. The items displayed were not only weaving, but knitting, crochet, spinning, etc. and you could touch, try on, and purchase items. I came away with some "art yarn".


Then we wandered down the street to Three Moons Fiberworks. It was easy to spot because of all the LOOMS.


The looms are not for sale but for classes and for use by individuals (for a reasonable fee). I was taken with this frame loom because at one point, I was trying to figure out how to build such a thing. This one may end up on my wish list.


Of course, there was lots of fiber for sale, and this roving found its way home with me. I'm curious if it will spin into a self-striping yarn.


That was Thursday. On Saturday, I attended a workshop by our weaving guild on harness loom weaving. A dozen or so looms were available for those of us new to harness looms to warp and weave on. What a great opportunity! And an exhausting day! It was difficult to not get excited about yet another way to weave, but I'm not sure I am ready to warp 24 ends per inch on my own, let alone figure out tie ups, etc.

Ashford table loom

Spreading the warp

Walking loom

Twill

Rosepath

M's and W's

I didn't care for the walking loom, found it too confusing for a beginner, but I can see how it would appeal to an experienced weaver. Many of us liked the Dorset floor loom on which we wove rosepath, but of course they are no longer made. All the looms folded up for easy transportation. It's really tempting, but despite their footprint being less than I expected, I just don't know where I would put one, let alone find time to weave on one. But they sure do open a whole new world of possibilities.

Knitting: While coming back from Chesterton, we found ourselves stuck in traffic for a while due to an accident. Ever prepared, I whipped out the L-Bag and worked on that. I'm on the sixth color and its about 10" long.
Spinning: STILL working on the silk/merino/tencel blend.
Weaving: I warped up the SampleIt for a new project: a table runner with Peruvian diamonds. At 15 epi, it's a bit hard on my eyes, but my Ottlite has a magnifier, thank goodness.

As if all this activity weren't enough, the spinning guild met on Tuesday. The program was about mending handknit items. I learned some new tips and tricks and hope to show you some mended socks one of these days.

No comments: