Friday, January 19, 2007

KnitLit

I like to knit. I like to write about my knitting. I lure visitors to my knitting blog by leaving its url at various and sundry forums across the Internet. But StatCounter indicates most spend less than 5 seconds at my site. Presumably, they glance at the photos, then click their way back from whence they come. After starting KnitLit (edited by Linda Roghaar and Molly Wolf), I now know why no one reads my blog - reading about knitting is, well, let's just say, less than riveting.

Maybe it is just me, but why read about knitting when you can be knitting?

And yet I do read about knitting. I frequent a few knitting forums, keep up on certain knitting blogs (even though too many of these blogs feature yummy, calorie-laden baked goods as well as knit goods), and check out armloads of knitting books from the library. But forums can be skimmed, blogs can entertain (apparently, mine does not), and knitting books are eye candy. It is not often that one really reads knitting stories.

What makes a good story? Usually, a storyline that includes conflict is a primary trait. Strong character development can make up for a lack of plot, as can humor. Robert Frost said good poetry "begins with delight and ends in wisdom" and the same may be applied to any writing. (Hmmm. Maybe I need to keep that in mind with my own writing.) Too many blog entries are "Here is some beautiful yarn. Here is what I made with it." (Mine is more that latter, since I can't afford the former.) The cardinal sin of writing is to bore the reader. (Moi?!?)

(Okay, I've wandered afield. I started out reviewing KnitLit and wound up critiquing my own writing. I didn't start out delighted, but hopefully now I will end up a bit wiser.)

Back to KnitLit. As I said, knitting stories are not the most exciting thing to read, but each one in this book has a little pearl (purl?) hidden within. And, in this world of in-your-face entertainment, these gentle stories are heartening and refreshing, if sometimes a bit corny.

Sometimes we need a little corn in our diet.

No comments: