Saturday, July 21, 2007

That Damn Sock!

I finally finished toe-up sock #1 and bound off, but - huh - the sock would not go over my heel. A little research revealed that you can't bind off a toe-up sock in the usual way, but must use a more stretchy method. (Too bad the book did not mention this. Many sock knitters rave about Sensational Knitted Socks, and it does have a lot of good info in it, but frankly, I would not recommend it to a beginner.)

I found some directions for a sewn cast-off here, and redid the bind off.



The top of the cuff looks frilly but it's not when on the foot.



The fit is a little tighter than I wanted and the cuff a little shorter than I expected, but it's okay...



... until I take a closer look at the short row heel from hell and discover a hole. A hole caused by a dropped stitch. Argh!!!

So I am taking a little hiatus from sock knitting while I decide just what I want to do about this damn sock.

1 comment:

Qutecowgirl said...

Your first toe up looks wonderful. (much better then my first). Do not worry about the little hole - you could weave in a piece of yarn and close it off. I have had this happen when I forgot to knit the wrap in the short rows (I do not know if this is how you did you toe). Also do not feel bad about the cast off - I still have a problem- the sew off one is the one I like the best. (I also like the crochet one if you have not tried that one.)
Sorry I am rambling here =). Time to get more coffee so I am understandable.

p.s. thanks for the link about the shawl article - I had seen it before and of course did not book mark it. Can not wait to see it finished.