Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Finally

It was so cold today that I fetched the red-red-red sweater from the guest bedroom and put it on. The fit is far from perfect, but I said, Screw it, I'm wearing it to work. So I did. But I did not show it off.



Details: I started with the "Miss Priss Hoodie" pattern from Schaefer Yarns but I used Cascade 220 instead, then eliminated the zipper, knit it in the round on US7 needles, added lace stitchery on the sleeves and front ("lace diagonal" and "snowdrop" respectively, from The Knitting Stitch Bible), and tried a couple different necks (including a snood) before settling on one that would increase the likelihood that I would actually wear the sweater.

If I had a do-over, I would increase the garter stitch rows at the cuffs and the hem, as they have a tendency to curl. And I would have made it a little bigger, as blocking didn't add as much width as I had hoped. And I might have chosen a yarn with more drape. But I like the color and I like the way the material breathes. It is both warm and comfy. So, even if I don't wear it out and about much, I will still definitely wear it. In fact, I have it on right now.

Time to put on all my wool and check on the lunar eclipse.

No comments: