Sunday, February 10, 2008

What a Maroon

Yesterday, on my way home from yoga, I stopped in at Sarah Jane's to see if I could find some wool to match the maroon in my Math Geek scarf. I ran into my SO in the parking lot (no, he was not buying yarn, he was after coffee), and I was explaining my dilemma of wanting to make some maroon and black mittens to match the scarf. We both examined the scarf in the light of day and discovered it is not maroon and black but more of a berry, cranberry, and navy. In my defense, there has not been very much sunshine around here lately.

More about yesterday: Needing some motivation to vacuum, I rearranged the livingroom furniture, a side effect of which is there is now more natural light where I sit (and knit) on the couch. Needing something simple to work on - socks on US1 seemed too myopic, a lace shawl in fingerling involved too much counting - I started Lark's Bubble Wrap Cap in the same yarn as the Math Geek scarf. Not needing it, I kept being reminded that the yarn is berry, cranberry, and navy.

Now something about today: I finished the red-red-red sweater!!! At least, the knitting part and the grafting the armpits part and the weaving of the ends part. Now all that remains is the blocking part. However, I tried on the sweater one last time, and since it is so freakin' cold today, I kept the sweater on. The blocking can wait until a warmer day.

(You David Sedaris fans have probably read Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. I am contemplating a companion book: Dress Yourself (and Your Baby!) in Wool and Cotton. Besides the sweater, I am wearing my Clara Barton socks, and when I took pity on the wildlife and went outside to fill the bird feeders, I added the Math Geek scarf and the hat from the Chunky Winter Set. Yes, I did resemble a homeless person, but believe me, no one else was outside to witness my fashion statement.)

For the record, the red-red-red sweater is still seamless and purl-less, but now also snoodless. I was really attached to the idea of calling it the Snoody-Hoody, but the snood part was just too bulky. Maybe in another yarn, one with more drape, it would work, but not Cascade 220. And for you purists, the seamless part may be compromised by the armpit grafts, depending on how you feel about grafting. I find it much simpler than seaming - even though I had to resort to The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques to learn how to graft live stitches with bound off stitches - that I declare it to be different from seaming. So the seamless status of this sweater stands.

Speaking of babies (and I was, more or less, two paragraphs ago), a friend of mine just became a new grandma, so she is getting one of my "grandmother sets". That's the last set, and I have more friends who are expectant grandmas, so it's time to knit some more. Babies are messy!

No comments: