Monday, August 25, 2008

The Interview

I think Etherknitter started this interview thing. I put the questions to my SO, who responded in writing, hence the verbosity.

What is your favorite thing about my knitting?
My favorite thing about your knitting is seeing the delight that you get out of it. And, for me the sensuous nature of yarn colors, fibers, and knitting patterns is a treat to be exposed to.

What is your least favorite thing about my knitting?
Least favorite thing about your knitting? What's not to like? You haven't poked me in the eye with a needle or anything. When you refuse to remove your knitting so I can sit by you, then maybe I'll have something to resentful about...

What is something I have knitted that you recall as being good?
I love my scarves. They're among my most treasured personal possessions. Plus, I think your 'new' sweater is gonna be a beaut after you get it assembled. ( I hope you decide to re-do your 'red' one. That's another that I really liked.) Oh! Oh! and how could I forget my socks!!!! Bella, bella!

Do you think knitters have an expensive hobby?
I can see that the knitting hobby could be expensive if you wanted it to be. But, the 'returns' are always so tangible and full of beauty. Just like any 'pleasurable obsession', some folks are bound to overdo it. Compared to 'model building' or motorcycles and the like, I'd say that knitting ranks in the safe middle in terms of expense, unless you're just a crazy-ass knitter, then all bets are off.

Do you have any hobbies?
Yes.

What are your hobbies?
My hobby is photography.

If we compared money spent on hobbies, who would win?
While I have to confess to only partial knowledge to the expenses of knitting, I'd have to say that in terms of return on money spent you come out ahead. (Good or even decent) Camera stuff is expensive due to it's highly technical nature, and once you've committed to printing there's no 'undoing' to use the materials for another try. So, you win that one.

Has my knitting in public ever embarrassed you?
Knitting in public? At first I was a little taken aback, but I've never been embarrassed about it. I'm proud to be with you and it's not like you're making a spectacle of yourself. Now, if you were hauling around a huge bag and shook out a big afghan sized project every time you sat down, that might be a different story.

Do you know my favorite kind of yarn?
Your favorite yarn? Probably beyond my guessing. Off the top of my head I'd say probably one of the fine wool cashmere. (Ed. note: I can't afford cashmere.)

Can you name another blog?
Could I name another knitting blog? Well, the "Yarn Harlot"... "Mason and Dixon" ??

Do you mind that I want to check out yarn stores everywhere we go?
No, I don't mind checking out knitting stores. There's always so much to look at and I like to see your enthusiasm for the stuff that's meaningful to you. Much more fun than looking at cameras.. once your eye is up to the viewfinder there ain't much difference between one and the next. Gimme yarn for the sheer joy of fun shopping and looking.

Do you understand the importance of a swatch?
Yes, over time I've come to understand the importance of a swatch. It increases useful 'technical' knowledge of a contemplated project, and can be very informative about whether or not you've made a mistake in terms of the type of yarn you're thinking of using or the appropriateness of the type of stitching called for in the 'recipe'.

Do you read bittenbyknittin?
No, I don't read your knitting blog. That's your personal forum to share your stuff with 'the community of knitters' and I don't think I need to peek. Nothing personal, just trying to give you some personal 'space' that's strictly yours.

Do you think the house would be cleaner if I didn't knit?
I don't think a 'clean house' has anything to do with knitting. Knitting is a 'soul thing' , cleaning is just something that has to be done once in a while so that we don't feel overwhelmed.

Is there anything you would like to add in closing?
I consider knitting to be a 'mother hobby' that has been a part of civilization ever since some wise soul figured out how to spin and what to do with what they'd created. The world would be bereft without knitters and the gifts that spring from their skilled hands.

Isn't he a keeper?

2 comments:

Qutecowgirl said...

"Isn't he a keeper"


Exactly what I was thinking = )

Toni said...

Awwwwwwwwwwww....