Sunday, October 04, 2009

Socks, sweaters, and spindling

My plans to whip the UFOs is not working out quite as I planned, but today I discovered there is more than one way to deal with an unfinished project.



The one-skein baby sweater is history. I used acrylic and I apologize to all you acrylic-lovers out there, but I just can't knit that stuff anymore. This particular yarn feels particularly oily, but instead of throwing it out or anonymously donating it to Goodwill, I am giving it and all my other acrylic yarns to a friend who uses them (along with Fun Fur) to knit prayer shawls.

I'm also not spindling like I had hoped, but I did fill up two spindles.



Now I need to ply the singles to free the spindles, but I'm having trouble remembering the finer points of how to do that. I'm sure there is a YouTube video I can watch, though.

One of my UFOs is the Hedgerow socks, but I can't work on them until I free up my only US1 needles, which currently are carrying this pair.



These are the Alhambra socks from Mossy Cottage Knits.



The yarn is Cherry Tree Hill Supersock, in "Island Red". It's an odd color, kind of a pink fleshy color.

And despite working on the Baby Surprise Jacket, I still had the urge to knit a sweater. A big sweater. A big red sweater.



This is Elizabeth Zimmermann's Bog Jacket, in Cascade 220. I had forgotten how much I like Cascade 220, especially compared to Elann's Peruvian wool. The jacket will be mostly red, but also black and gray, and trimmed in black, kind of lumberjacky. Since it is all garter, all the time, it is a good project for football games. (Colts won, BTW.) I'm even practicing knitting without looking.

Time to do some plying.

No comments: