Saturday, April 25, 2020

Break!

My dogs are trained (sorta) to sit and stay while I take off their leashes and e-collars. Once that is done, I say, "Break!" which releases them. The governor has said "Break - to a limited degree" to shelter in place. We are still supposed to limit travel outside the home, but some non-essential services are coming back: elective treatment by dentists, veterinarians, dermatologists, etc. Unfortunately, not hair stylists or massage therapists, at least not yet.

In keeping with the spirit of this week, I gave myself a break from fiber arts. I've been rather diligent about spinning, knitting, and weaving most days, but the weather was so nice I just had to spend some time in the yard, doing exciting stuff like cleaning out the shed. Last summer my yardening activities were severely limited by my hip; I plan to make up for that this year.

Knitting: I did manage to turn the heels of the Ivy socks. It took me four days because there is something about knitting short rows that bothers my shoulders. But now that is done and I'm ready to head for the cuffs.

King of the coffee table

Spinning: One of the packages of roving I received from Qutecowgirl was 4 oz. each of navy and orange roving that I'm guessing is (more) superwash merino. I plan to two-ply the colors together.
Weaving: Did I do any weaving this week? It's difficult to keep track of what day it is. In the online course, I am in the homestretch which appears to be reading supplemental "bonus" material. I have been practicing what I learned on the pocket loom; I'll post separately about that.

Not only has my daughter relieved me of quite a bit of fabric, she has taken the quilt batting as well. I have a bad habit of thinking up a project (in this case, making tied yoga quilts), purchasing all the supplies, then stowing it all away for another lifetime. The big bin I was keeping all the sewing stuff in is now practically empty. I think it will now become the roving bin, as there is plenty of that on hand. One of these days, my studio may actually look presentable!

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

It is so nice to move things on to someone who can create with them. Stay safe.