Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Fractal Neapolitan

I enjoyed spinning up the 'Neapolitan' roving, but I'm not so sure about the results after plying. Maybe the colors are too solid? Or there is too much white? What should I make with it?


Fiber: Lone Star Arts superwash merino, colorway 'Neapolitan'
Wheel: Ashford Joy 2
Technique: Fractal
Spun: Worsted at an 8:1 ratio
Plied: 2-ply at an 8:1 ratio
WPI: 9 (worsted weight)
Amount: 362 yards, 239 grams

My spinning is more consistent and I achieved a worsted weight yarn, but the plying looks loose. I think my problem is I am not used to spinning superwash merino. Merino is rather slick, and once it is treated to become superwash, it looses its barbs. This results in a soft yarn that won't felt. It also means it does not want to cling to itself like a coarser, non-superwash wool. I'll have to do some research to see if there are techniques for overcoming these quirks.

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

I think it looks gorgeous! Well done.