Thursday, July 23, 2020

Pink and purple and some sparkle

I had this grand plan to blend half the angelina into half the purple merino, blend the rest of the angelina into half the pink merino, spin those into singles, then spin the rest of the purple and pink into singles, finishing up with a 4-ply yarn. I think I could have skipped all the fooling around. Were I to do this again, I would mix all the angelina with all the purple merino and two-ply it with the pink.


Fiber: merino in purple and pink, angelina in sapphire(?)
Wheel: Ashford Joy 2
Technique: nothing special
Spun: worsted, Z-twist at an 8:1 ratio
Plied: 4-plied, S-twist at an 11:1 ratio


I used a drum carder to blend the merino and angelina. Fiber that starts out as top turns into roving on the drum carder. After a few trips through the carder, it turns into roving with nupps. It took me a while to figure out I did not need to send each batch through the carder three times, once was enough. I think I was hung up on the number three because if I had been blending colors, yes, three or more trips would be required. (Some people blend angelina into fiber as they spin, but I'm too anal to risk running out of one or the other before I was done.)


Spinning the blend was a challenge. Merino top spins up so easily! Merino blended with angelina - not so much. The angelina doesn't slip like wool; it stiffens the fiber and removes some of the bounce that merino is known for. I found it more difficult to keep the singles thin, too.


As would be expected, when 4-plying, I ran out of one ply before the others. So I 3-plied until I ran out another spool, then 2-plied the rest, ending up with one sample that was not a mixture.

4-ply: 1 ply purple merino, 1 ply purple merino/angelina blend, 1 ply pink merino, 1 ply pink merino/angelina blend
WPI: 8-9 (between Aran and worsted weights)
Amount: 286 yards, 204 grams

3-ply: 1 ply purple merino/anglina blend, 1 ply purple merino, 1 ply pink merino
WPI: 10
Amount: 5.5 yards, 7 grams

2-ply: 1 ply purple merino/angelina blend, 1 ply purple merino
WPI: 12
Amount: 24 yards, 8 grams

2-ply: both plies purple merino/angelina blend
WPI: 12
Amount: 38 yards, 13 grams


I like the color combination of pink and purple, but I have no idea what I will make with this. Suggestions welcome!

No comments: