Sunday, November 29, 2020

Queen for a Day

I'm dating myself by mentioning an old TV show, Queen for a Day. If I were even older, I would mention the radio program. After watching The Crown, I've come to the conclusion that, like youth being wasted on the young, royalty is wasted on the royals. They have no idea how good they have it. I would not mind being queen, or at least a princess, for a week or three: breakfast in bed everyday, beautiful clothes, exotic travel for which someone else does all the legwork, etc. The nannies alone would be worth the effort of attending fancy balls, ribbon cuttings, and state dinners (which someone else cooks!) While jetting around the world on a private plane, there would be plenty of time for fiber arts, too.

Crochet: Judging by comments on Ravelry, I am not the only hooker perplexed by the instructions for the border of the shell stitch baby blanket. I will just have to make up my own.
Knitting: Still trudging along on the Lithuanian mittens; about halfway up the fingers. I had repaired one of my granddaughter's baby blankets, planned to redo it, but she deemed it adequate (plus I think she just wanted the blanket back).


Needle felting: My granddaughter and I worked on needle felting a snowman ornament. The core is made up of styrofoam balls; all I did was help add white roving. She added all the accouterments. (Oh, for cryin' out loud. I didn't get a pic of the finished project, just one of my bandaged fingers. Erk.)


Spinning: It occurred to me that instead of three-plying the 'Jailhouse Rock' singles, I could two-ply, and also two-ply the black merino top, then weave instead of knit something with them. The idea of spinning 8 oz. of black yarn leaves me a bit cold, though.
Weaving: I'm still working on warping the rigid heddle loom. I'm not ignoring it, I'm really working on it, just not yet satisfied with the results. If the warp isn't up to snuff, the weaving will be torture.

I hope you all had a safe Thanksgiving. It was just my SO and me here; dinner took about half an hour to prepare. My kids stayed home, my brothers stayed home, my neighbors went camping to avoid eating with maskless relatives. The numbers of new Covid cases per capita in Indiana is one of the worst in the nation - last week, the local school system went totally remote because there were not enough healthy bus drivers - although the numbers may be leveling out. We'll see if it stays that way through the holidays. Stay safe!

No comments: