Sunday, March 14, 2021

Art day

Yesterday my 10-year-old granddaughter and I had an "art day". We stopped at United Arts and Education to make a few purchases (including a stuffed penguin I had promised her around xmas and a new jigsaw puzzle for me), then we had a "touchless" visit to the Fort Wayne Museum of Art to see the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards exhibition, followed by a stop at the Allen County Public Library to take a gander at the Three Rivers Gem and Mineral Society display and the Fort Wayne Artists Guild members show. Whew! There were several "paintings" done in needle felting at both the art museum and the guild show, which inspired my granddaughter to create her own after we returned to the house.


Knitting: I've completed 25 out of 60 inches on the Reader's Wrap. Almost halfway done (except for the pockets).
Spinning: The black merino top is finished; separate post to follow.
Weaving: I'm about halfway done with the first kitchen towel.

The local spinning guild includes a member on the west coast who is creating a digital magazine with a colleague in New Zealand. It's called tinyStudio: Creative Life. A free special edition may be found here. Both these talented ladies were able to attend our most recent meeting to describe the magazine and talk about creative fiber arts in general. It was a unique experience for our guild and one that would not have been possible without Zoom and a reason to use Zoom instead of meet in person. Both the fiber guilds I belong to are talking about having hybrid meetings going forward - in person AND via Zoom - as many members do not live in town or may be unable to attend in person for one reason or another. It's a new era.

I received my first Covid vaccination this past week. It didn't hurt a bit and I experienced no side effects at all other than to feel surprisingly optimistic about the future. My second shot is in several weeks, but even then, precautions must continue to be taken. However, with a little luck, we will return to some semblance of "normal" soon.

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

wonderful news about your vaccine and it sounds like you had the most wonderful day with your girl. She did an amazing job on that needle felted work. Stay safe.