Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Black merino top

A while back I was fretting about plying superwash merino with non-superwash merino. I decided not to, which I think was the right decision, as the superwash came out darker than I expected. Instead, I spun and plied the non-superwash merino to use in conjunction with other colors in either weaving or knitting.


Fiber: DMFibers merino top dyed black
Wheel: Ashford Joy 2
Technique: Nothing special
Spun: worsted, Z-twist at an 8:1 ratio
Plied: 2-ply, S-twist at an 11:1 ratio
WPI: 10
Yardage: 494 yards
Weight: 237g (8.36 oz)

When skeining, I wrap up 50 yards at a time. When weighing each skein, I get an idea of how consistant I am across the whole effort. In this case, I am happy to report that each 50-yard skein was within a few grams of the others. Not bad for an amateur.


There is definitely enough yarn to do *something* with. Black goes with just about any color and helps them pop. While black may be a boring color to spin (and difficult to photograph), I think I will make good use of this yarn.

No comments: