Sunday, October 15, 2023

Sock math

Most sock patterns indicate how many inches one is to knit the foot and/or leg. I usually have to knit larger socks, so I had everyone I knit socks for record the length of their feet, heel to toe. Then I used a ruler, a sock measuring tool, or my eyeballs to figure out when to stop.


Recently, it occurred to me that there was a logical relationship between the number of stitches cast on and the number of rows for the foot and the leg. Hence, my latest theory on sock knitting:
  • If you cast on 64 stitches, knit 64 rows for the foot and 64 rows for the leg (not counting toes, heels, or cuffs)
  • Ditto 72 stitches/rows
  • Ditto 80 stitches/rows
If you try this out, let me know if it works for you.

Knitting: Finished the Timberlane cowl, just need to give it a bath (separate post to follow). Continuing with the Trekking socks. The Lempi sweater is stalled, but I hope to get back to it this week.

Lately, my spinning and weaving mojo appears to have left the premises. I think some new medication I started in August is to blame. Initially, it caused muscle cramps, so (with doctor approval) I cut back to taking it every other day. After a while, I began to have trouble with dry eyes. I discontinued the med to see if that helped (it did), but that is also when I realized how listless I had felt lately. At first, I did not want to do some of my hobbies, then I didn't want to do any of my hobbies (not even knitting), then I didn't want to get out of bed in the morning, which is not like me at all. I don't have much luck with prescription meds because of side effects.

Speaking of side effects, on Friday I received four vaccinations: Covid, flu, RSV, and TDAP. Ordinarily, I don't react to vaccines, but four at one time was a bit much, even for me. Saturday was a couch day, but I did get some knitting and reading done.

No comments: