Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Clover redux

I knit a pair of socks for a friend back in 2017. When I saw them on her, my first thought was "Too small!" But she insisted they fit "perfectly". Well, they wore out rather quickly. I took them back to repair, but repair seemed pointless because there would still be too much stress on the fabric.

The yarn had been discontinued (at least, in that colorway), but I was able to find some on Ravelry. I reknit the socks from scratch, substituting a different yarn for the toes, heels, and part of the cuff, because I knew I would not have enough of the main colorway. The feet are knit with the fresh yarn; I reused the leg yarn for the legs. And I think they turned out pretty good.


Pattern: Short-row Toes and Heels, by Wendy D. Johnson
Yarn: Patons North America Kroy Socks FX, colorway 'Clover Colors' and Simply Socks Sock Yarn (I think) in 'Natural'
Needles: US1
Modifications: None to speak of


The reason the cuffs are part 'Clover', part 'Natural' is I was also running out of the 'Natural' yarn as well. When finished, there was just a bit leftover from each.


For the original socks, I cast on 64 stitches. For these, 72 stitches. It seems most people I knit socks for need the latter, yet most yarn patterns call for the former. Go figure.

No comments: