Saturday, February 03, 2024

She sells SeaCell

It's funny how everything seems to come to a stop when one is ill. My cold lay waste most of the previous week. But today I felt well enough to not only walk the dogs (they were abbreviated walks), but to also attend the monthly spin-in at Little Shop of Spinning. I needed some fiber to spin, so I grabbed a braid of something out of the closet and headed off.

What I grabbed was a combination of Blue Faced Leicester and SeaCell. What is SeaCell? According to Sport Casuals, "SeaCell is a biodegradable clothing fiber that comes from cellulose or tree fibers and organic seaweed. The material is in high demand among athletic apparel brands, since it inhibits bacterial growth, is soft and stretchy, hypoallergenic, and is derived from renewable resources." And it's very silky.


My braid came from Hearthside Fibers and I probably bought it at a fiber fest, although this fiber (and a whole lot more!) is available from their Etsy shop (undyed but much less expensive). It is 70% BFL and 30% SeaCell, and spins up rather nicely. I'll be curious to see how the final product turns out.

Knitting: I finished the Lozenge cowl; separate post to follow. I repaired the hole in the Lempi sweater, but not very well, so will probably redo.
Spinning: See above.

The current exhibition at the Chesterton Art Center is by Chicago weaver Bryana Bibbs, 200 pieces. I'm toying with the idea of going, as I feel like I need some weaving inspiration. I can't tell if I don't really like to weave or if I just don't like weaving the kinds of things I've been weaving.

No comments: