Sunday, February 11, 2024

Trust the muck

The program at the latest weaving guild meeting was about ice dyeing. Natalie didn't say much about the process, but brought in about 40 samples. She works primarily with plant-based fibers - cotton, linen, tencel - so couldn't say much about protein fibers like wool. When I arrived home, I googled ice dyeing and learned a bit more. Interweave has a general tutorial that can be found here. Dharma Trading offers instructions on working with wool and silk that can be found here. And our own Natalie can awaken you to color combinations here.

One of my fiber resolutions is to dye the undyed roving I have. Now I'm wondering if ice dyeing would be a way to go?

Knitting: I started another cowl, using a mistake rib pattern from Purl Soho, using handspun yarn.


Spinning: Nearing the end of the BFL/SeaCell roving.


An unofficial fiber resolution is to get a quilt top I hand-pieced over 40 years ago quilted. A member of the weaving guild does just that. I delivered the quilt top and the backing to her at the last meeting, so it is in her queue. Huzzah!

No comments: