Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Trouble with Sweaters

The trouble with sweaters is the same trouble as with socks or mittens: the terrible twos. Knitting socks means knitting two socks, knitting mittens means knitting two mittens, knitting a sweater means knitting two sleeves. But sweater sleeves have an additional burden: when you start at the cuff and add increases along the way, the initial speed erodes about halfway to the armpit. Another problem I am having is, once I reach the halfway point, the DPNs are not quite long enough and stitches keep falling off the end. I finally got to the point on sleeve #1 where I could switch to circular needles, but instead of continuing with that sleeve, I started up sleeve #2. For some reason, it feels better to be working on both of them at the same time.

Tomorrow afternoon the plumbers are returning to install a new hot water heater. I have lived here at least 15 years and I have never replaced the hot water heater. I'm sure the only reason it has not sprung a leak is there is too much gunk from the well in the bottom of it to allow the water egress. Also, I wanted to wait until I had city water because I did not want to gunk up the new one. So, my wish tonight is that tomorrow's installation go as smoothly as the city water tap-in.

BTW, I reviewed the wishes I have made so far, to see if I inadvertently repeated any. There are several knitting-related wishes, but otherwise they are fairly diverse. I'm a little surprised that I have been able to keep up with the daily postings, because I know I won't stick with it once this month is over.

2 comments:

Kris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kris said...

Now you have me worried! Lol. I'm just now working on my first sweater and I've wondered about the sleeves so far. Now I know I'll dread them!
Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!
(Accidentally said Christmas! Haha!)