Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Cool but Not

This winter, every time I crammed my hands into the mittens I bought to go with my faux suede coat, I wished for new ones. And now that I have them (courtesy my own DPNs), we are having another January thaw.



It won't last, though.



So I made myself a hat as well.



Pattern: Chunky Winter Set from The Knitter's Book of Yarn
Yarn: Cascade Jewel Hand Dyed in color #9887
Needles: US5 for the mittens, US8 for the hat



This yarn is a single ply "thick/thin" Peruvian wool that is rather inelastic, which I find difficult to knit - my hands get tired. The patterns are your standard mitten and hat patterns, quick to knit. I mixed the sizing for the mittens, casting on for a women's, but using the lengths for a men's - I have large hands but they are not "man hands" - and they took exactly one 100g skein. The hat is the men's size (large feet, large hands, large head) and it used about three-quarters of a skein. I'm happy with the results.

And now, to catch up with photos:

Here is the Noro Kureyon from Sarah Jane's that is destined to become a pair of Maine Morning Mitts.



One of the more sedate color combos, #215. (Don't you wish everyone would name the colorways?)

My order from Webs arrived, with the Art Yarns for Thuja socks. Color #119. *sigh*



I could not resist starting the socks last night. The pattern is a seed stitch rib, which of course does not show up very well in this photo.



And, finally, the Jaywalkers I started while waiting for the Art Yarns.



Tonight my daughter wore her Jaywalkers to yoga. Nice socks!

1 comment:

Qutecowgirl said...

Oh I love Artyarns!! so soft and squishy. I am loving the colors in your Jaywalkers. Very pretty