Saturday, July 03, 2021

Old dog, new tricks

Have you noticed that we learn the most from our mistakes? I've been experiencing that quite a bit with inkle weaving. When I am doing something correctly, I don't always know how I am doing it correctly... until something changes and suddenly I am doing it all WRONG. Figuring out what is wrong and how to right it solidifies the lesson, though.


Sometimes what I am doing is not wrong per se, but could be better. I tend to pull the weft thread too tight and the yellow doesn't show through the heddled design. Not wrong if that is your intention, but if you want to see the yellow, something has to change. (Different colors might have worked better, too.)


Sometimes when things are not going well, we need to ask for help. I am getting my inkle help from fellow inklers - we have another workshop scheduled this month. That blasted red Tunis, though, required my posting a question on my spinning guild's FB page. That resulted in links to two "No Fleece Left Behind" videos on YT:

No Fleece Left Behind
No Fleece Left Behind, Part 2

I will give these methods a try, although I reserve the right to abandon this roving altogether if I so choose.

Spinning: See above
Weaving: See above but also I managed to hem another UFO that has been sitting around for about three years. Separate post to come.

Over a year ago, my dishwasher stopped doing a good job. I reverted to handwashing while I researched a replacement, but then the pandemic hit. Now that things are better, my daughter helped me pick out a new Bosch 800 series dishwasher and my son-in-law installed it last Sunday. OMG - it does such a great job. And it's nearly silent, too! I've been washing all my dishes and glassware as I felt like nothing got very clean with handwashing. I am also experimenting with how best to load the machine - very different from my old KitchenAid, which was over 25 years old and spent most of those years running on softened well water that still contained a lot of iron. I thanked the old girl and gave her a good pat, then kicked her to the curb, literally.

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

Love how you are experimenting with your loom. Good news about the dishwasher, I love mine but still hand wash lots of bigger items and pans much to my husbands dismay. He would throw everything in there and start it up. Happy Sunday.