Wednesday, July 07, 2021

Pillow top to doll blanket to whatever

A while back (September, 2018, to be exact), I suggested to my granddaughter that she pick out two yarns and I would weave a pillow top with them. She selected the yarn left over from a crib blanket I had knit her, using blank Knit Picks superwash wool dyed with KoolAid, and pink Lion Brand Fun Fur (eyelash yarn). I was a bit dismayed, but soldiered on as grandmas tend to do. I didn't keep very good notes in Ravelry, but I think the plan was to weave the top using soumak stitch; each pass of soumak was divided by several passes of eyelash in plain weave. The problem was the eyelash did not pop through the top of the piece but through the bottom.

Soumak
Soumak reverse

I like the reverse side better, so hemmed the piece that way, using a zigzag stitch on my ancient Kenmore sewing machine (and I didn't do a very good job).

Weave structure: Soumak stitch (the "standard" one - there are a lot of different soumak stitches)
Loom: Ashford SampleIt (I assume)
Warp: 8/4 carpet warp (?) in white
Weft: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Superwash Worsted Bare, dyed with blue raspberry KoolAid, and Lion Brand Fun Fur Solid, in Soft Pink (101)
EPI/PPI: 7.5?/???
Size after hemming: 8"W x 10"L

Soumak
Soumak reverse

At one point, I thought this could be a doll blanket instead of a pillow top, but my granddaughter decluttered and all the dolls were evicted. I suppose I could still turn this object into a pillow top, but she didn't seem very excited about the idea. For the time being, it is a resting spot for some of her air dry clay sculptures.

In situ

This project is one of many almost finished ones in my UFO pile. With the passing of years between start and finish, frequently one's excitement wanes, but I've decided the UFOs either need to be finished or frogged.

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

I think it turned out very nicely. I am all about getting those projects out of time out and finishing them or getting rid of them. Stay safe.