Saturday, April 09, 2022

Minimum daily requirement

Tommye Scanlin says "Weave every da*n day." And I try to do just that, at least a little bit, on all my active projects. My downfall is actually *finishing* the projects after they are off the loom or needles. So while I weave at least two inches on the guest towels each day, I fear the hemming will take a bit of motivation. At least the Habitation throw doesn't need any extra treatment once the knitting is done.

This past week's weaving guild program was on tartans. It was advertised as tartans and plaids, but the plaid part was more of a not-tartan part. I'm a Hamilton, and the Hamilton clan has a tartan in red, navy, and white, but I doubt I will ever weave a sample because, except where each color crosses itself, the weaving is in 2x2 twill, a bear to do on a rigid heddle loom. I might work up a tiny example on my Swatchmaker if I am feeling particularly adventuresome or masochistic. (Photo from Clan.com.)


Knitting: I made a booboo on the Habitation throw this past week, so progress was slow while I recovered from that.
Weaving: I am halfway done with the second guest towel on the 24" loom.

My SO and I went to an actual movie theater last night, to see "Drive my Car". (Excellent film, by the way. but l-o-n-g.) Cinema Center is our local "art theater". Before the pandemic, they began actively targeting a younger crowd, so we let our membership lapse. I wasn't sure who would be in the audience last night, but it was the usual gray-haired seniors, socially distanced in pairs, so I felt safe enough to go maskless. There is an article in the NYTimes headlined as "I didn't want to go, but I'm glad I did." That seems to be my new motto.

No comments: