There is nothing quirky about these socks except for the name of the sock yarn. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be self-striping, but I chose to believe not since I could not find a definitive place where a stripe started.
Pattern: Short-row Toe and Heel Basic Socks, by Wendy D. Johnson
Yarn: Simply Socks Yarn Company Quirky Socks, colorway QS1111, for the foot and leg; Cascade Yarns Heritage, in natural, for toes, heels, cuffs
Needles: US1
Modifications: None to speak of
These socks are knit toe-up, my usual MO. One different thing I do is not purl back on the last row of the toe and heel but go forward. This probably does not make any difference, but it appeals to my sense of structure since that last purl row is not like the others. But now I'm wondering if that contributes more twist that handknit socks naturally have. They are basically one big spiral.
This pair is to be a holiday gift, not sure who to yet. Most of my recipients (myself included) require a larger size, so these are knit 72 stitches per round, 72 rows per foot, 72 rows per leg. That seems to work out just right.
There is more quirky sock yarn to come.




No comments:
Post a Comment