Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Swallowtail Shawl Blocked

It's about time, right? Here is the final, ready-to-be-shipped version of the swallowtail shawl I whined about ad nauseum. (For the rest of the story, look here.)



The spare bed came in handy for a blocking surface.



I could not find any straight pins labeled "rust-proof" so I used brass plated safety pins, which actually worked well. I contacted Rowan about the best way to block their silk wool DK, and they suggested pinning, then spritzing, which also worked well. So I pinned, spritzed, then after the yarn relaxed, I repinned.



Even Fern liked the shawl.



I wore the shawl to work yesterday, primarily to show off. It kept my shoulders warm.



Today it goes into the mail, as it is a gift for my stepmother.

When I was about a third of the way through this shawl, I swore I would never do another. Finishing it gave me a great sense of accomplishment, so I might do another one someday. But the biggest payoff has been that my other knitting projects seem so easy now. I feel like I can knit just about anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you could use insect pins, they do not rust. I think Monarch is a brand, and they come in different thicknesses.