Saturday, September 08, 2007

Vintage Handbag

This bag was the easiest (if you find ribbon yarn easy to knit) thing to knit, from Louisa Harding Sari Ribbon, and not that bad to line, BUT a real bitch to attach the handle.

It all started with Glamour Knits, by Erika Knight. My daughter loves many of the patterns in this book, and the Vintage Handbag was the first I tried, starting 'way back in April. The (now defunct) LYS actually carried the sari ribbon. Rather than work it into a ball or skein, I draped it over the back of a vintage rocking chair. (This was in pre-swift days.)



I can't remember what size needles I used, because I usually downsize at least one US number, but I think if I were do it again, I would upsize to at least the size recommended by the pattern. My result seemed a little smallish.



Amazingly, I actually located the antique-looking handle featured in the pattern photo. The website for UMX is rather unconventional and awkward to navigate, and the shipping and handling expense seemed exorbitant, so it took me a while to get up the gumption to order the handles. (I ordered two and a co-worker ordered two, which did not increase the s&h fee, so I don't know how many one could order at the same rate.) "Jorge" sent me a confirmation email right away, though, and the handles arrived in a timely manner.



After the successful lining of Chloe's purse, last weekend I settled down to finish this one. As I hand-stitched the lining, I pictured my daughter at tonight's gala opening of Sandy Skoglund's "Truth Between Opposition" show, carrying this lovely bag. I imagined how all those artsy-fartsy patrons of the arts would ooh and aah over the bag and ask her where she got it. I daydreamed of starting a line of handmade vintage bags to keep the dog in kibble if/when I lose my job to outsourcing.



And then came the handle. See the photo below? See those eight little black dots? Those are the screws that hold the plates to the handle, between which one must cram the enough of the sari ribbon fabric to keep the whole thing together.



HOURS later, I actually got it all together, only to discover that the bag had a significant twist to the fabric. Since I had assembled it once, I figured doing it a second time would not be such a big deal. WRONG! More hours later, I was halfway there when I had to give up because my hands were cramping.



My daughter saw the almost finished bag last night, loved it, so today I settled down to try to finish up. And I did it! But that idea about making a living from handmade vintage bags? That went out the window.

But maybe I could sell kits? As long as no one wants help with the handle.

3 comments:

Ally said...

That's so lovely!

I've lurked for a while and have never commented but I read every post in Google Reader.

It's refreshing to read about someone who gets just as frustrated with yarn as I do :)

Qutecowgirl said...

WOW!!! It may have been a pain to finish but the result is beautiful!!!!!!

Lucy said...

Exquisite - Many Congratulations - it is a work of art!