Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Royally blue cowl

After crocheting a swatch to prepare for repairing the Taupe Beast, I looked for a simple crochet project. Unable to find something simple enough, I chose to make a cowl using the same stitch pattern as the Taupe Beast. I actually crocheted this cowl at least twice, as I was struggling with getting the turns at the ends of the rows correct. I also struggled a bit with stitching the ends together, using good ol' mattress stitch.


Pattern: Stitch pattern from "Ivory Elegance" in A Year of Afghans Book 5, a Leisure Arts book.
Yarn: Big Twist (acrylic), in 'Royal Blue'
Hook: USG
Modifications: Cast on 101 stitches, executed only two pattern repeats.



I'm not a fan of acrylic, but it is better than it used to be. And it's machine washable/dryable. However, I no longer use it for baby items, since it melts when exposed to a flame whereas wool, even superwash, is naturally fire resistant.

No comments: