Sunday, August 02, 2020

Behind the times

My new found interest in crochet led me to Ravelry. OMG! The interface is completely new! I stumbled on some broken links - as a ex-software developer, I know there are always bugs to fix - but I am (sort of) eager to explore and see what else is new. One issue I have is photos - mine are in Flickr but they raised their "professional" rates. I'm not a pro by any means, but it was an easy and (formerly) economical way to store photos online, plus I linked my Ravelry projects to those photos. I'll have to see what the alternatives are now.

I cruised around the crochet patterns for something small and easy to make. That provided a second jolt - there are new (to me) stitches with new acronyms. I decided to make a cowl using the stitch pattern from the Taupe Beast I am repairing, since I already know how to do that. I also checked out The Happy Hooker from the local library's online collection - I always have trouble with turning and starting a new row in the right place. This book has great drawings and helpful hints. (I used to own a copy but it disappeared during a round of decluttering.)

Crochet: Still wrestling with the Taupe Beast repairs, although I think I have a strategy. It won't be pretty but it should work. I'm either a third or a half done with the cowl, depending on how tall I decide to make it.

My interest in pottery is growing in fits and starts. The instructor for the class I am enrolled in is ill (not Covid), and so far the substitute has not been able to make it to class, either. Hopefully, tomorrow. Meanwhile, I purchased some "Mexican pottery clay" (made by AMACO) to play with at home. I'm not sure what it is made of, but it feels very clay-like. Instead of firing pieces, one just lets them air dry, after which they can be painted and decorated or left as is. No kiln needed, nor a wheel as I prefer hand building. I bought a couple of scrapers too, but otherwise am using homemade tools like a fat dowel to roll slabs, a paper clip to cut, etc. I have invested so much money in equipment and tools for fabric arts that I feel like I don't make full use of, I am a little leery of making a similar investment in what may be a passing fancy.

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

The clay that air drys sounds very interesting. you should have seen my glass bead stage, I bought all the equipment to make them including the gas and tons of glass, it was a disaster both creatively and financially but it was fun the three times I tried it and made horrible lopsided glass beads. I gave it all away. Good luck with the crochet, I have a very hard time joining rows and making it look nice even after all these years. Stay safe.