Sunday, February 14, 2021

Happy Valentine's Day!

My SO and I don't do anything special for Valentine's Day since (for us) everyday is Valentine's Day. We make a point of appreciating each other in real time, like when his car needs a jump or I need to visit the ER. We both have a bit of a problem asking for help - gotta be strong and independent - but it sure is nice to have someone to rely on, for everyday things and not-so-everyday things.

Knitting: Still plugging away on the Reader's Wrap. I also discovered a hole in the Lopi mittens I knit in 2007. A recent issue of Ply Magazine described one way to fix holey socks, which helped me figure out how to fix these mittens: remove the top of the thumb and reknit it. Fortunately, I found some leftover yarn in my stash.



Spinning: I started spinning the black merino top I ordered by mistake. (Idle question: Do you ever return fiber (roving, yarn, etc>) ordered online but not quite what you expected?) I contemplated leaving the yarn in singles, to ply with other colors, but right now I am leaning toward two-plying it and using it as a contrasting color for weaving.


Lately I have been watching Star Trek: Voyager. The most recent episode touched on aspects of Vulcan philosophy that resonate with me, perhaps because they have a lot in common with Stoicism. For example, instead of allowing one's emotions to rule one's mind, strive for the mind to control one's emotions. In these trying times, it is easy to get cranked up emotionally when we need to keep our cool. I am finding this concept to be calming. Live long and prosper!

No comments: