Thursday, February 11, 2021

Lithuanian Ribby Mittens

This pattern is the result of Robin Hansen reverse engineering a pair of mittens found in a museum shop in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Her personal contacts reveal that this is a common style of mitten among Lithuanian knitters. They are knit from worsted weight yarn using size US1 needles to achieve a gauge of 7-9 stitches per inch despite the textured fabric. I found knitting this needle/yarn combination more difficult than I expected; it was hard on my hands and shoulders as well. At least the weather is still wintery here, so I can enjoy wearing them in the snow.


Pattern: Lithuanian Ribby Mittens, from Ultimate Mittens by Robin Hansen
Yarn: Cascade 220, in gray (MC) and red (CC)
Needles: US1
Modifications: see below.

I did not intend to modify the pattern, but I found the instructions difficult to follow and somehow wound up with three extra stitches after the thumb gore. The mitten top and thumb turned out too long and pointy for my taste, so I flattened them by knitting a round of k2tog, a round of k, another round of k2tog, another round of k before pulling the remaining stitches together. I also offset the thumbs enough to create right and left mittens.


They fit perfectly but felt stiff and bulky. After a warm bath, they softened up but also grew a bit, so now feel too large. I wore them to shovel snow and despite the tight stitching, they did not seem to be warmer than other mittens I have knit. Through regular use, they should felt a bit, which will tighten them up.

2 comments:

ErinFromIowa said...

They turned out fantastic! Wear them over a thin pair of mittens or gloves? My daughter from another mother does that with a pair of worsted mittens I made her. I made three sets of mittens with the leftovers of that color scheme. Each set kind of matchy side to side. My favorites like it when I make stuff up. Sorry for being so yappy! I haven't talked to anyone in over two weeks! Lol

Mereknits said...

They are wonderful! Well done.