Saturday, February 20, 2021

I couldn't resist

More powdery snow fell this week and I could not resist scooting around the backyard on cross country skis despite my hip surgeon nixing that activity. My yard is large but not large enough for it to be much fun for skiing. My hip was okay, but my shoulders did not like it. This week I have my annual follow-up appointment with the hip surgeon and a prelim appointment with a shoulder surgeon.

Knitting: Inching along on the Reader's Wrap. I had been alternating stockinette with reverse stockinette, but decided that might be problematic when I add the patch pockets. I ripped back and am just now almost caught up.
Spinning: I'm almost halfway done with the black merino top. It's not very interesting to spin, but I still try to put in 20 minutes a day.
Weaving: My SO was telling me about how many compliments he has received recently on a log cabin scarf I wove for him. I glanced at it and saw a broken warp. While fixing that, I found a couple of other broken threads, plus I straightened out some snags. Once it gets a restorative bath, he can have it back. In the meantime, he will just have to use his alpaca knit one.

Isolating the broken warp

Ends to weave in

This scarf is woven with Cascade 220 Superwash because a previous scarf that should have been handwashed met its demise after machine washing. The fabric feels a bit flimsy to me. The areas I fixed now have extra threads where I wove in the ends, and they feel more substantial. If I decide to weave another scarf in Cascade 220 Superwash, I may double the warp and/or weft. But first, I should make a test swatch.

1 comment:

kayT said...

In the past I have knitted several afghans with Cascade 220 superwash, and the last one was yarn from a new source for Cascade as I understand it. It didn't feel right when knitting and after using it for a few weeks it began to pill something awful. In the end it was so awful I actually put it in the trash as it was unfit for Goodwill. So, if you are going to use it, make a swatch and treat it rough to be sure it's going to work for you. I hope the one I used was a fluke or something but I have read several comments indicating similar experiences.

I can see why your SO gets complements on the woven scarf; it's beautiful.