Tuesday, February 02, 2021

Jailhouse Rock

The instructions that came with this Sheep 2 Shoe kit were for making 3-ply sock yarn. I have given up on knitting socks with yarn that lacks nylon, as they wear out too fast. I've also given up on using merino, as it too does not last. (Simply Socks produces a sock yarn made from Corriedale and nylon, and that is now my go-to sock yarn.) Then I agonized over finding some superwash merino in black, to ply with this yarn, but that search was fruitless. So I finally just created a two-ply, which I really, really like.


Fiber: Blue Moon Fiber Arts superwash merino top in 'Jailhouse Rock'
Wheel: Ashford Joy 2
Technique: Nothing special
Spun: worsted, Z-twist at an 11:1 ratio
Plied: 2-ply, S-twist at an 11:1 ratio
WPI: 9
Yardage: 387 yards
Weight: 237g (8.3 oz)


I really wanted this yarn to be DK weight after the fact. In other words, I spun and plied it, and THEN decided it should be DK. Wishful thinking. Still, I crammed it into my wpi counter before admitting that it really is worsted.


Another so-called plan was to knit or weave the yarn with as-yet-to-be-spun black yarn, but I'm thinking it is dark enough just as it is. One skein, the last one, has a lot of joins in it, so I will use it to work up some swatches while I decide what to use this for.


This roving was gifted to me by Qutecowgirl who just released a hat pattern on Ravelry called Pascal. It's free and looks like a fun knit, so check it out!

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

I am in love with that yarn, it is brilliant. Well done!